Friday, June 24, 2005

Writing about Nothing, and Everything

My sister Rachel, who is a writer and has her own blog ( http://www.rachelhauck.com/) asked why I haven't written a post on my blog in about a week. I told her " Well, I need an idea before I write!" Rachel Said, "Sometimes you have to start writing before you get an idea.". That's what I'm attempting to do.
Ok, I'm going to be honest with myself and you. It just seems like when I don't read or stay consistent with my daily bible study I get , well , numb, blank. I can't think of anything interesting to write about. Nothing motivates me like scriptures. I Love the Word of the Lord. When I don't spend time in it I just go through the motions of life doing the mundane things of every day life. When I read the Word, those "mundane things" come alive! I see every day as having a greater purpose and opportunity. To live for Him and to share Him with others. That's exciting and challenging!
I love it when you read something in scripture and it just YANKS YOUR CHAIN and bites you clean to the core! Either a revelation or conviction. At the same time I love the piece of mind and comfort scriptures give me. I know that He loves me and cares for my well being.
I love the fact that He chose me to love. I am undeserving of His choice and love. The idea that He chose me despite my sinfulness gives me and sustains the faith I have in Him.
John 10:27-30, Jesus professes that His sheep hear Him and follow Him and that nothing can snatch them away from Him or the Father and that they have eternal life through Him.
Are you one of His sheep?
Read the Scriptures!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joel,
Getting over dad'd death is a day by day process. Death, heaven and hell, and eternal life have consumed my thought the past few weeks. Being a full time working mom I am on the go from dawn til dusk. Scripture reading had taken a back seat in my life. Actually I think I put it in the trunk.
I have started trying to read 5 chapters a day from the New Testament. So many familiar verses, things I forgot I knew....years of scripture memorization at CCS.
Yesterday I had a question and my first thought was to call dad. Such a fresh and tender wound, I think I stopped breathing for a minute.
Scripture reading peals back the scab of the wound but it also pours out its healing powers.
Love you,
Rebekah

8:03 AM  
Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Great post Joel. You are so dead on. Scripture, the Living Word (Heb 4:12) is the thing that keeps on the right road.

It literally caused me to overcome fear. It can do the same with so many things in life people struggle with: anxiety, depression, fear, anger, worry, doubt.

God is so awesome to meet us. The scriptures are like onions. There's the surface layer, but peel it back, and there's another layer, deeper in meaning. Peel that back, and there's another one. It never ends.

I love to prayer the Word, too. Makes it come alive even more.

It's hard to be disciplined. Even for me and I'm without excuse. I have more free time than an insane man's mind. LOL.

I loved Beka's comment, too.

Dad is probably praying with Jesus that we all fall in love with Him more and more! He would love that we are seeking Him through His Word. Dad was such a Bible man, himself.

I miss him. Beka's comment was really poignant. I'm at the place where I just want to call him, and talk to him. Every day, I have a memory of him. Something I'd forgotten. All I can say is, we were blessed to have him.

Love you bunches! Rachel

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, what an awesome post!! I appreciate your honesty b/c it spurs me on! I beat myself up continually for my inconsistency in bible reading/prayer time....but we are all on the same road. Iron sharpening iron... thanks Joel! I really think you can take this post and turn it into a sermon...preach on!
Love ya,
Julie
~~See, your sister was right..don't wait for that divine thought...just start writing, great things will come of it!~~

9:38 PM  
Blogger Will H. Donaldson Family said...

Right! Right! and Right!. I'm glad you took your sisters advice and I hope now you will take that same advice more often! Do you realize that I check yours and Rachels blogs almost every day? This one was worth waiting for. The Holy Spirit must have been waiting for you to just try. Keep 'em coming!
No pressure buddy...done with the next one yet? ... How about now? Are you done Now? ... Now? ... How about Now? ...

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often wonder if I will ever get over dad not being arround. I love to study the Word but I hate it when I have a subject or a question that I want to call dad about. The last gift that dad gave me was Louis Berkof, Systematic Theology. I have been studying it and taking notes. I can keep up with most of it but every once in a while I have a question and the first thing that comes to mind is to call dad. Even though studying the Word and theology makes me miss dad I also want to study so that I can get know the Lord as much as he did.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home