Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I've been tagged !!

I've been tagged by http://pruittcommunications.blogspot.com/to right five things I miss about my childhood.

The first thing I miss about my childhood is hearing my Mom sing. It didn't matter what we were playing, whether it was baseball, basketball in the driveway or climbing trees in the back yard, we could always hear my Mom singing in the kitchen through the back screen door. My Mom has a beautiful voice and to hear it as we played out side was comforting and reassuring. I think I noticed when she wasn't singing more often than when she was. I don't know how the rest of my siblings feel but when I didn't hear her singing it would get my attention more often than not. Do you ever get the feeling that something is missing but your not quite sure what it is at first? Then it hits you. You know what's missing. That was the feeling and sensation I got when I came to realize my Mom wasn't singing. Sometimes I'd wonder into the house just to see why Mom wasn't in the Kitchen singing. Usually it was because she was in another part of the house doing a different chore or attending to Rebekah(my kid sister).

The second thing I miss as a kid are the summer trips to our grandparents house'. Grandma & Grandpa Fausnaugh Had a beautiful home in a very nice neighborhood. They would often take us to places such as Oldman Caves or the Museum or a minor league baseball game, when we came to visit. Grandma Hayes had a place in the Shawnee State Forest and we always had fun at her place too. She didn't take us to as many places Like Grandma & Grandpa did. That was ok cause we loved to play in the woods around her house or fish and swim in the Creek.

The Third thing I miss are the trips Dad took us on. It seemed like we were always going somewhere or at least to our grandparents and we enjoyed the trips as a family. We enjoyed each others company and that helped in making the trips fun.

I miss playing foxes and hounds during the summer. I was usually the youngest one to play, a benefit of having older siblings. Sometimes they'd argue over who's team I would be on. Maybe they argued just to make me feel important but I think it was do to the fact that being younger I knew where all the great hiding spots were and consequently no one could find me and I could usually find the person no one else could find.

The last thing I miss(but not the least) are the days as a patrol guard in elementary school. It was a lot of fun and we were able to get out of class a little earlier to go to our posts. My friend Will was a patrol guard as well and we still talk about the occasional rock fights with other kids and the time Lightening struck the school front just as school was letting out for the day. I laugh just thinking about . The whole school shook from the lightening striking the ground just across the street where most of the parents were waiting to pick up their kids. As you can imagine, the next day at school everyone had a story to tell about how the lightening just missed striking them or how they lived to tell about it after they were struck by the lightening. What a hoot!!

By the way, Will, your tagged, so start writing. Oh, and rachel, your tagged as well!





1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Joel,

What great childhood memories. You so showed me up! I'm going to have to rethink mine now.

It was late when I wrote mine, so there. LOL.

Love you! Rachel

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home