Friday, January 13, 2006

Judge Alito Hearings

I've watched a good bit of the Judge Alito confirmation hearings the last couple of days. I guess you know your getting older when you find this kind of stuff interesting enough that you can't stop watching it and then consequently look for someone else to talk too about what you just saw and heard. That's what I've done over the last couple of days and I'm sure I'm driving my wife crazy cause she's usually the one who has to put up with me as I try to express my thoughts on the hole matter.
For the Life of me I can't understand why any sane person would ever vote for Ted Kennedy. He looked like a complete buffoon up their gurgling all kind of nonsense, especially the incident
were he was arguing with Arlen Specter about a memo he mailed to Senator Specter. He became almost militant about his "demand" for the records from the CAP organization in which Judge Alito admitted that he had very little if any involvement. Senator Kennedy's actions were way out of character for someone of power and authority and Judge Alito was never implicated in any of the documents from the CAP organization in which Kennedy demanded to have.
On the other hand I was impressed with Diane Feistein. She seemed very respectful of Judge Alito and rarely interrupted the Judge during his response to her questioning. Senator Feistein Stayed in her seat during most of the questioning and witness panels unlike most of the other democrats including Senator Kennedy. She was actually paying attention to the proceedings rather than blurting what ever it was she wanted to say and then leave, just as many of the others did. Despite her well mannered ways I doubt she will vote for Judge Alito, she's to far to the left in her opinions to do anything more than vote against Judge Alito.
Judge Alito was very knowledgeable about the law and his practice and rarely referenced any papers or council during the hearings. He was very well mannered as a Judge should be and presented himself as someone who would be very competent and deserves to be a Supreme Court Justice. He should be Confirmed with ease.

4 Comments:

Blogger Will H. Donaldson Family said...

I only was able to see "snippets" of the proceedings but from what I saw I have to say I agree with you whole heartedly.
Will

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, good writing and I agree with you 100%. I was able to see most of this while home after surgery on my right foot. Keep up the writing Joel, Love Mom

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could say "ditto", especially about how I was glued to the t.v. and looking for someone else who was as interested as I was. I guess it just goes to show that I was not as smart as I thought I was when I was 18 years old. I guess I will never be that smart again.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Ditto on the Kennedy things. Sheez!

R

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home