Friday, January 20, 2006

Theology

There are a lot of Christians who believe that it is o.k. to believe what they believe without being able to give an account of why they believe what they believe. Hence, this is why dogmatics came into being and why systematic theology is so important. It has literally taken millenia for man to come to the understanding of God that we have today. Some christians would say that dogmatics is overdone and that it pulls man away from God and into a philysophical debate. Peter states that we are to "... sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" 2 Peter 3:15. This is more than just a testimony of an emotional encounter with the Lord at the point of salvation. This is not a call but a command to be able to speak definitavely of the Lord and His works. Not every christian is called to be a theologian but we certainly are not called to be an ignorant bump on a log either.
I am one who gets excited by comming to a deeper and more detailed understanding of what the Scriptures say about the Lord. I get fired up about the Lord when I come to either an understanding of a verse that I couldn't figure out or to a correct understanding of a verse that I misunderstood. I have said all of this to say that I am reading Louis Berkhof- Systematic Theology. This book was the last gift that dad gave me a month before he died. A lot of this book is way over my head but it has been very helpful for me to understand the Scriptures. I have been learning so much that I feel like I am forgetting more than I have learned. Joel suggested that I post some of the things that I learn as I am going through Berkhof. So I said o.k. So I will be posting some things either that I have learned or of things that maybe I already knew but think that they would be important to note whether it is from Berkhof or the Scriptures.
So I would like to quote from Berkhof. "there seems to be a fear that the more we systematize the truth, the farther we wander from the presentation of it that is found in the Word of God. But there is no danger of this if the system is not based on the fundamental priciples of erring philosophy, but on the abiding priciples of Scripture itself. God certainly sees the truth as a whole, and it is the duty of the theologian to think the truths of God after Him. There should be a constant endeavor to see the truth as God sees it, even though it is perfectly evident that the ideal is beyond the grasp of man in his present condition".

5 Comments:

Blogger FireMedic143 said...

Sorry for the mispellings. I didn't check my work before I posted it.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Joel Hayes said...

Fantastic post Pete. I think it will be interesting as you go forward with the posts.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Good post, but I Peter tells us we have no need for any one to teach us. The Spirit teaches us.

The Gospel and all its truths are made for the common man.

Sometimes I think the pointy head intellectual and theologians are the only ones who want it to be "veiled."

Rachel

9:52 PM  
Blogger Will H. Donaldson Family said...

"...Forsake not the fellowship..." This would be included in that. Also included is the teaching of others. It is wisdom to seek out those who may be wiser than ourselves but we must temper that with scripture. No matter who the teacher is, all teachings must agree with all scripture in context.
The Gospel and all its truths are certainly for the common man and are simple enough, but our desire to know God more fully is an ever on-going, seeking and searching after Him.
While the scripture itself is more than enough (through the Holy Spirit), the perspective of our "Fellow Heirs" can certainly be beneficial; again, as long as we test everything with scripture.
I'm looking forward to reading whatever insights this book may bring to you Pete!

8:37 AM  
Blogger FireMedic143 said...

If the Holy Spirit is the only one who teach's us then how do we explain different points of view about a common verse. Has the Holy Spirt erred? Are all people with differnt levels of IQ, wisdom, and experience to come to the same conclusions? My personal testimony is when I read Is 64:6 ... and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment (or rags).... I always invisioned a dirty shop rag that could be washed and dryed. The truth is that filthy garment is actually a bloody rag. This understanding completely changed my outlook on my own righteousness. I didn'tlearn that from reading the Word but from a commentary... actually I think it was Stuart. Anyway, there is a use for the Theologian because I would never have found that out on my own.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home